Friday, March 11, 2016

My Garden Holiday in England - Kew Gardens




I have been to Kew Gardens once before last year. Kew is located on the western side of London and can be reached easily by the tube/ subway/ metro/ train or however your city names your underground transportation system. There is a small palace on the grounds, Kew Palace, which is  a museum today, but the Palace also has a small but interesting herbal garden. Kew is not a small place. There are gardens, buildings, botanical glasshouses and space to roam around for days in its 121 hectares (300 acres).

This trip was the first time we found a couple of small lakes surrounded by trees and shrubs. The atmosphere in this area was quite peaceful. Naturally there were small families of ducks of which I did not recognize even one.





Hubby and I visited the perennial gardens that had some lovely grasses













and the small indoor Alpine garden





Probably one of the highlights for me was the Heritage Tree Collection. As you made your way around the gardens you would find placards naming the tree behind it, where it came from and other interesting facts about the tree or genus. Here are a few beauties, but unfortunately I did not record them all. Maybe you can guess.










Both trips were taken in September, something I would change the next time around if only to see different plants. It is still a great time of year for taking in the gardens of the UK.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting pictures Patty. I have been to Kew a few times but, like you, always in September. Spring would be best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see what kind of plants they grow for spring or early summer. In the fall most gardens in the UK were growing NA natives, which I love seeing for ideas here at home, but I wonder what I would find in June.

      Delete
  2. I'll be there this July and can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may also want to visit the Chelsea Physic Garden, their oldest botanical garden. Small but quaint with a great lunch served!

      Delete
  3. Hello Patty girl !
    Ah ... yet another place I wished I had visited while living in the Netherlands .. thank goodness other gardeners share their experiences in blog land !
    I love those grasses ... they are such an exclamation point in plantings .. and those lovely old unusual trees .. how can you top them right ? .. very nice post Patty : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being September the grasses were in their prime. I would love to grow some but I can't figure out how to incorporate them into my garden, yet.

      Delete
  4. Really nice Patty! Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas for our own possible trip to England this fall.

    ReplyDelete